Double-H Boots began in 1955 in Richland, Pennsylvania. The original factory location was an area shoe company that had other facilities in the Reading area and had no future needs for the plant in Richland. The H.H. Brown Shoe Company purchased the building, looking for a location to manufacture western footwear.
The Richland facility was named the Richland Shoe Co. and began producing cowboy boots and work footwear. Shortly after production, a competitor introduced a new style called a “harness boot.” H.H. Brown introduced a similar product called a “snoot Boot” and made it at Richland Shoe for a lower cost. For many years, it was almost the total production of the Richland plant. Richland shared sales personnel with the Carolina Shoe Company and for some time had a single sales manager. The western side at Richland continued to grow and a separate sales force and management was created.
By the 1970s, western boots had become the majority of boots produced. The Richland plant was the first in the United States to manufacture western boots with a safety toe. When computerized fancy stitch machines hit the shoe market, the line expanded into the dress western boot business. In 1981, the company expanded to a facility in Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania. In 1993 the name was changed to Double-H Boots to reflect the company heritage of H.H. Brown.
Today, the majority of the work and dress western styles are still manufactured at the Womelsdorf facility. The casual and fashion lines of Double-H are produced overseas.
In the spring of 2002, Double-H Boots purchased the Acme Boot Company.
Styles of boots made: cowboy boots, motorcycle boots, and work boots.
Value: Double H boots present a moderate value for the price paid. The boots are not as well-made as others.
Availability: Many licensed third-party vendors sell Double H Boots.
Custom sizing: Not available.
How to order: Try on and purchase in brick-and-mortar stores or from on-line vendors.